Sunday, July 20, 2008

Good Luck Ammon

My youngest brother, Ammon, was born October 5, 1995. During my Mom's pregnancy, they discovered he had Spina Bifida. He's done relatively well for a kid with Spina Bifida, has already been through numerous surgeries, and still has many physical -- as well as some mental -- limitations. Ammon's been an inspiration to many of us not only as we've learned to deal with Spina Bifida, but to see how we deal with our own selfishness.

I was a senior in high school when he was born, went on a mission, and haven't lived at home since. I've not had to deal with putting my interests aside while tending for a disabled child. But my parents and younger siblings have had those experiences intimately. He's bound to a wheelchair and has no use of his legs.

During his 12 and a half years of life, his spine has grown twisted, therefore squeezing his internal organs. Nothing inside is sitting like it's supposed to. So the time for yet another surgery has come -- perhaps the biggest surgery since the first surgery he had immediately following birth. The doctors at Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC -- a world-class hospital just 15 miles from my house) will go in tomorrow, open him up, clean off his spine, untwist him as best they can, and then put a halo around his head. Ammon will be in the halo for up to 4 weeks and then they will go in again and put rods in his back. Needless to say, neither my folks nor Ammon are overly excited for these two surgeries!

My Dad, my three other brothers, and I all met at my parent's home today and administered a Priesthood Blessing to Ammon and my folks. It was a touching moment and it was good to be able to provide some Priesthood support. Despite that, it was difficult that as we were leaving and we gave him a hug, he simply said -- through tears -- "Please pray for me." For most the previous surgeries, he's been too young to understand what's going on. He's old enough now, and that makes it a little more difficult.

My Mom and Ammon (indirectly) will be blogging about this whole experience over on Ammon's Journey. Good luck Ammon!

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Our prayers are with you Ammon and the whole family too! Please keep us updated on how he is doing!

Jen said...

That is so incredible! After knowing your parents for years, I didn't know you had a brother with such difficulties! What amazing people you all are. I love his Book of Mormon name--it totally seems perfect for him. I will add his blog to mine and follow it closely. God bless to your family.

Chris Keller said...

Jes and Jenn, thanks for sharing Ammon's story. Sounds like he is one awesome kid and I'm glad he is doing well in his recovery. I laughed at the story about him not wanting to tell the doctor he was uncomfortable because he didn't want to "hurt his feelings."

We are glad for you and your family.

Chris