Tuesday, March 17, 2009

This and That

I'm sitting outside in the front yard watching the kids play. It's 10 'till 8 and it's still light outside and relatively warm. We've had a few beloved weeks of weather lately. Mid 60's high temps; low 40's low temps. The flowers are starting to sprout out of the ground, the buds on the trees are starting to appear, and I've got spring fever.

Jen and I are going to plant our first garden this year, but neither of us is an expert at gardening, so we'll see what we can produce. I know this: we won't be growing tomatoes. Had Satan tempted Eve with a tomato, I'm sure they'd still be in the Garden of Eden. Anyway.

I'm applying for a new job next week. I've worked with a private contracting firm for 6 years now and they've been very good to me. The owners have been great, the pay competitive, and the coworkers great. However, there is a federal position in my office that's been open for three weeks now and I've been working on my resume, CV, KSAs (knowledge, skills, and abilities), and jumping through all the federal application hoops to get done.

This job has a slightly higher pay ceiling, but a lot more promotion potential than my current job. At the contracting firm, you're basically an analyst like I am, or you own the company. There's no opportunity to move up, really. I'd like to get in as a federal employee so those opportunities open up more.

If I don't get it, I'll be fine because my current position is stable and I'm really happy. I feel really lucky to feel this stable in my job. The economy hasn't directly affected anyone in our office. Let's hope that continues.

4 comments:

chelsey said...

Love the Garden of Eden bit! We're having some great weather today too! 72 degrees!!! Yipee!! Allergies have already started though. Yuck.

We need to get going on our garden again too. Bugs ate a lot of ours last year, so we'll have to fix that.

Good luck with the job thing!

The Duke said...

You are so funny - tomatoes are food for the gods - didn't you know that???!
If you need suggestions or help, I'm sure your dad would be more than happy to give advice, share knowledge, etc.
He attended a 9 week course on gardening last year and we had really good success with what we grew (limited because of so much shade). One of the things we found out was the variety of plant that is best suited for our area - it made a HUGE difference in our strawberries, tomatoes, etc.
Good luck - if Jen needs help canning, I can help there as well.

Julee and Matt said...

Good luck with the garden and going for the new job!

Jen said...

Good luck with the job Jess! I hope it works out for you. And if it does, it better not mean that you are moving!!! It seems when people make a little more money in our neighborhood, they flee!