I witnessed an assault tonight. I know, how exciting. I actually went outside with my camera to take a few pictures of the recent landscaping we did all day on Saturday. I stepped into my car for a minute to get a CD before going back inside when I heard some yelling across the street. I walked toward it and noticed my 29-year-old neighbor actually fighting with someone. Not just yelling, but in-a-headlock-punching-each-other-and-yelling-F-bombs fighting. Two guys with their girlfriends watching in horror, all screaming at each other, plenty of profanity, some cell phone action to alert the cops, and then kids popping their heads out the door to see what was going on. Not my kids, but my neighbor's.
The perp was my neighbor's ex-wife's boyfriend. They were fighting about who watches the kids and who pays for what and all that stuff. The kinda funny thing was my neighbor was just in his garage when this guy pulled up and charged him with the intent to beat him up. However, my neighbor obviously is the better fighter and quickly had the bigger guy in a headlock.
The whole thing is pretty sad, really. I actually seem to live in a really good neighborhood, but there seems to be minor disputes every 6 months or so with a different neighbor. It's funny how alcohol seems to be involved in most those altercations, including this one. I've gotta think whatever *benefits* moderate amounts of alcohol bring to someone are quickly surpassed by what it does to people who abuse it, even just a little.
3 comments:
So did you give the PD an eye witness statement? I witnessed an assault once, talked to the PD, a year later I got a subpoena to testify in city court. The dude got off. He was lucky because he had several priors and probably would have done some time.
I did give both an oral and written statement to the police. The guy who attacked my neighbor was already on parole, so if this actually makes it through any court system, this dude's done for a while.
You're a fine citizen.
Post a Comment